Hey, so our water softener stopped working. Time to roll up the sleeves. Let’s start with R&D.
- Common signs of hard water shows up in the dish washer, kettle, water taps etc.,.
- Water softener system is holding water, when it should normally release the salted water into your house (inlet)
- Get the make and model name of your water softener
- Look up the user guide / user manual
- Check the troubleshooting guide, this will be product specific!
- Yes, you can google your problem directly. I choose to start with the product, model and guide first. This helps me avoid rookie videos or tips. No insult to those trying to help!
After reading the user manual, specifically the troubleshooting section. My problem was well documented. In a nutshell, the venturi maintenance (see screenshot below), I was able to disassemble, identify the extremely dirty parts. Clean it with vinegar (breaks down mineral build up well). Re-assemble and test. Back in business now.
- be mindful of the parts, they are small, keep them well organized
- remember the order, or simply have this diagram handy
- when washing/cleaning the parts, be sure you don’t loose them. I just put the drain plug in and that worked for me.
This was simple. I placed all the parts (as illustrated in the screenshot below) in a stainless steel bowl. Sprayed them with vinegar. I let that site for 5 minutes. Scrub each part with a old tooth brush. Rinse all parts with plain water.
This is very simple, but you must follow the diagram, get things reassembled in the correct order.
- use petroleum jelly to lubricate the O-ring seal. This helps the seal live longer but also seal better, i.e. no air intake!
- use the access petroleum jelly for the venturi nozzle threads. this helps when you need to remove again, makes it less stuck.